Monday, March 18, 2013

Week of 3/19

CRUSADER’S DEVOTIONAL

03-19-2013

Hey, Howdy, Hey! I pray that this week you were blessed by time spent with God and people of God. I’ll tell ya, what a difference it makes to receive the energy of another believer and how dried of energy and robbed of time we can become if surrounded by the secular and people of secular thinking. It got me to remembering of a time I received a phone call from a lady having “horse problems”.

When I got to her place, I saw a single sorrel horse standing in a pasture. As I drove by him, the gelding took no notice of my presence. Now, I knew that he knew I was there, but out of anger or rebellion, he was not going to give me the satisfaction of acknowledgement. I drove up to the house and out walked a woman. I’d say she may have been fifty –five years old and used to being outdoors by the weather on her face. Our opening conversation was all I believed I needed to know to get to the bottom of the “horse problem” (or should I say people problem). 

Seems about a year ago, her husband passed way. He had a horse that “Nora” felt would be just added work to her already busy list of things to do. So, Nora sold her husband’s horse and thought it would give her one less thing to worry about and more time with her horse. Nora’s horse, as she described him, was at one time, kind and gentle; a horse anyone could ride. But, now he was a “bucker”. He would pin his ears back when Nora came around and wouldn’t come around, even for a cookie. So, I went out to the pasture to talk with “Prince”. The problem was one a blind man could see. Prince was not a one horse kind of horse. He was lonely and lost between where he was and where he wanted to be. I suggested to Nora that she find Prince a horse friend. 

I received a phone call a couple of weeks later. Nora had allowed a friend to board one of his horses at the price of horse friendship. Well, long story short, Prince is back to being “a Prince”. See, Prince was not made to be alone and neither are you or I. 

When we are born again, we are brought into the realization of God’s purpose for our lives. Through the Holy Spirit and other people in our lives, God should be seen through us and to us. Just like Prince, a single log makes for a poor fire. We are to be with our own kind, drawing strength and courage to spread what was given to us. That way there are many logs to give off a great light in a world filled with darkness. Surround yourself with what is good and just. That is what you are made for. Live the life you know you should be living, not living by what is easy, comfortable or “because I can’t do anything about it”. Listen and live by what God has placed in your heart. That is what you were created for and to serve the One who gives all great things. There and only there does true happiness exist. 

Then you will be like Prince! He knew what he was made to be like. He is a herd animal and even if the world took no notice of it Prince knew he was not living the life he was made for. 

Christian character is not in doing good things, but by living in Gods likeness. If the Spirit of God is within you, you will exhibit divine characteristics in your life, not just good human characteristics. 

I’ve learned for me, that being a Pastor, I’m not the Shepard, I’m the sheep dog. I try and keep the flock safe and well fed by God’s word. Like Prince, I know my place and I’m good with it. 


I pray you find your place and stand your ground.


In the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ of the Nazarene


Cowboy Pastor Ty

No comments:

Post a Comment