Monday, October 22, 2012

Week of 10-22-12 MONDAY

I was out lunging the big gray gelding, when through the dust rising up I could see the faint outline of “Wyoming” standing at the rail as if he was evaluating every step of the gray and every movement of mine. Then Wyoming would turn, in a flurry of tail and dust, as if to say we did not meet his approval and ran and bucked his way to the other side of the property. Then with a loud snort, turns and looks at the gray and I to make sure that the two of us observed the proper way a horse of such spirit gets it done.

As the cool air if mid October blew across my face and hands, I could feel the change of season approaching. As I continued to work the gray, I thought back to the many years I spent working Wyoming. This past spring he turned twenty years old. I still ride Wyoming but I do not work him. He has a health issue that I must take care of. (Like Me a little slower, a little stiffer and now we enjoy taking a nap when the day and time is right.)  Wy, as family calls him is a champion; ribbons, trophies and a belt buckle all his, plus racing champion bloodlines. Riding him makes me feel like the man I always wanted to be. It makes me feel like the champion that he is. As we both age the spirit is willing but the flesh grows weak. The finger prints of God are all over Wy. What a blessing that God should lend me such a horse.

Just is in the change of seasons, Life itself is temporary. “Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered and that my life is fleeing away” (Psalm 39:4) I hear tell that most people’s greatest fear is death. I would have to humbly disagree. I would say the greatest fear of people is to live. To live in the faith of your lord Jesus Christ. To love and to forgive. To live with no greed, no judgment, no boasting but in the Lord. To live in the light and chase the darkness while having no fear of the devil. “We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen” (2 Corinthians 4:18). Now that is the way to go out with your boots on, if you ask me that’s living.

What amazes me most about the good Lord is the price he paid for an old broken down race horse like me. He gave something perfect in exchange for something that is complete imperfection. Bowed tendons, Roman nose, swaybacked and lame at the run but he still promises to stable me in the same barn as his unflawed champions. Imagine that! A wretch like me running with a heard like that. What a loving father we have.

Remember: No time of life is wasted while in the saddle, laughing with a friend until it hurts or thanking the Lord for his many blessings.

                                              May God our heavenly father hold you well.
                                              In the name of our savior Jesus Christ of the Nazarene.
                                              Cowboy Pastor Ty Nazarenus

No comments:

Post a Comment